Communication Associate (Graphic Design) at World Food Programme WFP
The United Nations �World Food Programme� is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
The selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Corporate Video- WFP
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The purpose of this job is to provide research and specialized communication services that support the creation of content and services (with a particular focus on graphic design) aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP�s visibility and reputation, mindful of WFP�s gender transformative agenda, and supporting fundraising and donor-related activities fir the Country Office�s humanitarian portfolio. This includes ensuring the implementation and adherence to existing graphic guidelines; layout of reports and publications in English, Kinyarwanda and the development of new graphic solutions.
WFP Rwanda Country Office is building a strong partnership with media, national and local government, civil society and other development partners. To pursue this, the Country Office publishes a wide range of materials. WFP Rwanda requires a Graphic Designer Communications Associate to help the office meet its growing need for quality design products. The function will provide technical support to the External Partnerships and Communication (EPC) unit in designing WFP publications and contribute to the development and improvement of the design, branding, and layout of materials produced by WFP. It will ensure that Country Office�s products and reports are following WFP�s graphic guidelines, provide the best possible functionality and usability to WFP partners and contribute to the overall branding process.
This position will be based in WFP Rwanda, Kigali Country Office and the job holder will work under the general supervision of the WFP Rwanda Head of External Partnerships and Communication Unit. At this level, the Communication Associate will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Perform specialized communications processes and activities, to support staff in the development, preparation, execution and dissemination of campaigns for target audiences.
2. Conduct research, suggest ideas and provide coordination support to ensure the timely and effective delivery of video/film, photographic and radio projects. Manage the storage and distribution of audio/visual materials in accordance with relevant policies.
3. Develop and maintain graphic and reporting content and templates to enhance coverage and support of WFP�s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
4. Serve as an information focal point, support and/or coordinate media coverage of events to optimize publicity of WFP�s activities.
5. Organize and execute special events, working closely with colleagues, external partners, and media, to ensure events are effectively scheduled, publicized and attended.
6. Monitor traditional and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of communications activities and strategies.
7. Under guidance, prepare content for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, including infographics to enhance coverage and support of WFP�s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
8. Distribute and promote communications guidelines for WFP staff to refer to when creating content.
9. Manage updates and further develop internal records and databases, ensuring information is accurate, organized and available for others to access.
10. Respond to specialized queries and requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
11. Maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, in order to provide an aligned, coherent service, and to identify opportunities to collaborate/integrate processes and activities.
12. Implement improvements to communications methods and practices, to contribute to a better flow of information about WFP�s work to the media and stakeholders.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor�s degree in journalism, communications, graphic design, political science, or any other related field
Language: Very good level of written and spoken English. Fluency in Kinyarwanda.
Experience: At least five years of work experience in communications, journalism and/or graphic design-related field.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP�s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team�s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team�s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an �I will�/�We will� spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results: Monitors team�s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to the team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP�s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team�s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Implement WFP�s corporate branding policy with a focus on donor visibility.
2. Assist in ensuring that donor communication and visibility conditions are met, including donor logos on WFP visibility materials and bag markings; in coordination with other relevant units.
3. Assist in the development of and implement the country-specific communication strategy and work plan, while ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
4. Feed the WFP Rwanda Country Office page on the WFP global web with updated stories (articles, podcasts and photos) about the CO humanitarian operations.
5. Represent WFP Rwanda at One UN communication activities and meetings as required.
6. Underline the contribution of WFP�s activities towards the local economy and be gender-conscious in all communication and reporting materials.
7. Ensure that all publications, reports, and products are produced in line with WFP�s graphic guidelines and implement the graphic guidelines in all WFP communication products.
8. Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, electronic, web-based and animated presentations, e.g. social media content.
9. Design of reports and other communication materials for printing and electronic distribution e.g. factsheets, human interest stories, brochures, infographics, and maps.
10. Improve and edit art-work, photos, charts, and other graphic elements.
11. Layout and design information and communication materials, (banners, posters, booklets, leaflets, books, calendars, bulletins, flyers, cards).
12. Deliver creative graphic and technical solutions for use of new media (virtual 3D words/boxes, postcards).
13. Develop and maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP�s work to the media, in order to ensure regular and appropriate communications. Assist in initiating and updating the quarterly news update from WFP Rwanda.
14. Assist in the organization of high-level donor, media and WFP executive management visits.
15. Perform any other duties as required.
DISABLE KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
Social Media experience.
Work experience with the UN or large NGO.
Strong eye for detail.
Culturally sensitive � candidates should enjoy working in a new context with people of other cultures.
Knowledge of French a plus.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility: These two positions are open to Rwandan nationals or any individuals with a valid permit to live and work in Rwanda.
Duration of Post: 1-year renewable, subject to successful performance and availability of funds
Contract Type and level: Fixed-Term, General Service, Grade 5
For detailed information on working with WFP, please visit http://www.wfp.org and click on: �Our work� and �Countries� to learn more about WFP�s operations.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for applications is 07 January 2020.
Qualified Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply